Turmeric, which belongs to the ginger family, is an imperative ingredient in every household. Practically Indian cooking is not possible without adding turmeric to the food. Thus it is also called as ‘Queen of Spices’. There are tremendous health benefits of turmeric as it is a rich source of protein, Vitamin C, E, K, Potassium, Calcium, Iron and Zinc. It is widely known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric is known to cure several health ailments.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
- Turmeric’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce the pain caused by osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis by destroying free radicals in the body.
- Turmeric powder when sprinkled on burns and cuts can treat them quickly due to its healing tendency. It is like an antibiotic and has antibacterial properties.
- Curcumin is a substance in turmeric which is known to ward off heart attacks to a substantial level. Though it is not a substitute for medication.
- Regular consumption of turmeric can boost immunity of body. A strong immune system reduces the chances of catching cold, flu and infections.
- It has been proved medically that regular consumption of turmeric can reduce cholesterol levels and thus prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- It is also known to control insulin level in the body and control diabetes.
- According to experts, it can naturally detoxify liver and lever cure infections.
- It has been proved that constant use of turmeric can prevent and slow down Alzheimer’s disease.
- Experts say that turmeric helps to reduce weight by boosting metabolism.
- A compound present in turmeric is said to restore stem cells in the brain.
- Turmeric when combined with milk is known to purify blood and improve blood circulation.
- It is a rich source of Calcium which is beneficial for bone health.
- Consumption of turmeric milk eases menstrual cramps and pain.
Turmeric is an indispensable ingredient in every house. It not only adds aroma to the food but possess a number of health benefits too. There are many turmeric uses or methods to use turmeric. Turmeric can be used in solid as well as powdered form.
Benefits of Turmeric Powder
- Turmeric powder can be used while cooking food
- Turmeric powder can be mixed with milk
- Turmeric powder can be used directly on wounds